This is Part I of a two part series.
- 1.) Poor likeability. If you are disliked, it’s irrelevant whether you’re good at your job because your co-workers will avoid you.
- 2.) Not being a team player. No one is comfortable around a prima donna. Even professional athletes like Terrell Owens are reprimanded for opening criticizing his teammates.
- 3.) Missing deadlines. Everyone depends on you. It is better to under-promise and over-deliver.
- 4.) Conducting personal business on company time can get you fired.
- 5.) Isolating yourself. You don’t get promoted by doing good work; you get promoted by doing good work that is noticed. Keep your boss informed of special projects you’re undertaken. Tell others in the organization of your accomplishments.